1/26/09

4 Ways 2 Blog

I've found that examining blogs is a labor-intensive process, although an enjoyable one. Unless you are already a frequent visitor to a site, it takes a a while to research the ins and outs of a specific blog and get comfortable with the layout, content, point of view and comments that other readers have made. Maybe this isn't the case for everyone. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing and over-researching something that is sometimes characterized as more accessible and straightforward than traditional print.

The four blogs I chose to analyze for this post struck me in different ways. However, I realize that I've chosen blogs with content that I am just naturally more comfortable with: fashion, food, gossip, politics...those are all topics I can read and write about with ease and abundant opinion.

I.♥.The.Sartorialist.

This is always on my list of top fashion blogs. Written and photographed by an ex-fashion merchandiser, this blog captures the characters that walk the streets of the world's major cities by focusing on clothing. The large, high resolution photos are usually accompanied by little more than an orange headline detailing where the shot was taken. The subjects--ranging from young fashionistas to older gentlemen--are captured in a way that highlights the patterns, textures and colors of their clothing. These details are more emphasized by the plain white background and minimal text. Overall, photography rules and text is given little space.



Oh, Perez...


"The Queen of all Media" has set the bar high for any aspiring gossip blogger. Not only because Perez Hilton is the first to get the hottest tips, but because he presents a wide range of information in a straightforward way. His posts on "Speidi", President Obama, the failing economy and Paris Hilton all receive the same amount of attention and clarity. His design style is also consistent: hot pink, large photo, white doodles, text. The great thing about Perez is that you know exactly what you are getting, yet his creative take on stories is always refreshing.


"Informed Opinion"

This blog was really intriguing because 1. I had never heard of it and 2. the title was so catchy! I hadn't really thought that much about blog titles yet--outside of trying to come up with something witty for my own blog--but I do think it is equally as important as the text and visual aspects. The commentary on this blog is sometimes hard to follow. For me, this was a result of too much text all over the screen and too little organization when it came to the images. While the content was really fresh, I thought the lack of attention to visual details really hurt the blog and its writers. I guess it might be too creatively limiting to have all the bloggers use a similar design structure--or would it?

Mouth-Watering.

For my 4th blog, I chose a friend's food blog. I really do love this blog. Not because it was created by someone I know, but because of the gorgeous images and insightful text. This blogger always has a story or anecdote to go along with her latest food creation, which I find helpful in understanding how she finds so much passion in cooking. Her primarily gray and white color palette is similar to the sartorialist in that is allows the photographs to shine. The elegance of this blog is a reflection of its creators own design aesthetic.



Photos from:
http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/
http://perezhilton.com/
http://www.scholarsandrogues.com/
http://whenwordsfail.tumblr.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily,
    I really liked your analysis of each individual blog. It helped me get a good sense of what to beware of on each of the blogs that you summarized. I agree with your comments about "Informed Opinion". A blog that is not well-organized can be nearly impossible to read because you have no idea how to focus your attention. And with such a range of scattered information, it is nearly impossible to absorb everything that one puts on a blog. I also can sympathize with yout comments about your friend's food blog. I really like (and therefore become hungry) looking at nice food blogs. However, she never seems to reference where this food is coming from, how it's made, or how I could find it. It makes her blog a teaser, which can be more than torturous to the reader.

    ReplyDelete